Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A fun day out

The boys and I (Lisa) had the day off on Monday for MLK. We were sad Brian couldn't have spent the day with us. AJ had Basketball practice in the morning and Nate had a friend over so I was alone to my thoughts of what we should do in the afternoon. So after some Rockband, I decided that we needed to get up off of our bums and go for a hike. At first I got some moans and groans from the boys and then I told them we were taking Leo and that he really needed to get out of the house. Plus to make things even better the weather was beautiful - almost 70 degrees. So off the four of us went. We went to one of our favorite places to hike. It's in Boulder. Chautaqua park. It's a great place because it's really close to where we live and the trails aren't super hard. So we start hiking on a nice almost flat trail and then the boys said lets go this way and I agreed - trying to be adventurous. Except this trail was called ski jump trail. I didn't give it much thought, but thought it couldn't be that bad. I found out pretty quickly why it was called ski jump trail. Going up was pretty steep. AJ used the dog as a tow up the hill while Nate and I struggled a little. Then we got to the the top and the view was incredible. We stood there awhile. I was pretty proud of myself for keeping up with the boys and tried to hide how out of breath I was. (I'm not used to running straight up a mountain for about 20 minutes straight.) So we started down the hill and then I realized how handy a sled or skis would be for this part of the hike. The boys (of course) ran down the hill, as I just tried not to trip and break something. They ran yelling "come on Mom!" We had a fun day, no one was hurt, and we will definitely hike that trail again. (As long as I get to hold Leo's leash on the way up the trail!) I love spending time with my boys.



On the ski jump trail. Going up!


A view of the flatirons


Almost at the top of the trail



Going down!
Almost off of ski jump trail



Heading home
We will definitely be back

No comments: